Friday, September 30, 2005

Am I Draft Worthy?

I took the Wonderlic Test yesterday at a job interview. A brief explanation for the uninitiated: the Wonderlic is an intelligence test that consists of 50 increasingly difficult questions. The challenge is that you're only given 12 minutes to take the test. This is the same test given to NFL prospects at the draft combine.

The questions were basic word associations, and I would have gotten through more than 35 if my mind hadn't wandered for the first couple of minutes . . . Am I smarter than an Ivy League kicker? Does my knowing the difference between idea and ideal -- an actual question --have any bearing on whether or not I can read a cover 2 defense? (I throw too many interceptions in Madden 2006, so I guess not) What would it cost a company to get Mel Kiper, Jr. to grade the test and talk about my draft stock? And how would Mel do if he had to take it?

The big question, though, was this: how would I do on other standard draft tests? Not well. I can't bench press 225 pounds more than once. I would finish a 40-yard dash stride for stride with linemen who outweigh me by 90 pounds. And I would definitely sprain both ankles on any and all agility drills. I once sprained my ankle while walking down the street. I wish I was kidding.

OK, so I've established that I don't have a future in the NFL. My boy Mel would absolutely agree. What does this have to do with a job I may or may not get offered? Nothing at all. As usual, I have no point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home